The Discover KIA Maritime Street Stock Showdown will see $5,550 awarded in Purse Payouts and $1850 in Awards on Saturday, June 23rd at Oyster Bed Speedway in the 100 lap shootout of the Maritimes top street stock cars. Drivers will also receive free bridge toll passes, free ferry passes plus $25 of free fuel, an additional value of $3,000 committed to the race. In total a commitment of $10,400 is being put forth for the second running of the event.
Drivers are reminded that pre –registration ends on June 16th in order to receive any of the perks noted above. Pre – registration includes a signed registration form and payment received before June 16th. Any driver registering after this period will not receive the value added incentives. Drivers can find the registration form, rules and contact information on the website www.streetstockshowdown.com.
Friday evening from 6-9pm there will be a street stock practice only. The race begins at 5pm with time trials to set the top 4 positions, position #5 goes to Brunswick 100 winner Alex Sheehan. The remainder of the field will be set based on qualifying heats. Rain date is Sunday at 2pm.
Event Organizer Tom Nicholls commented “The event has blossomed into another marquee race day and night in the Maritime racing scene. We have some new sponsors involved this year and I was able to retain most of the sponsors from the inaugural event in 2017. I am still waiting to hear back from the final sponsor to pay for each driver’s admission, if it happens then their pit admission fee of $20 will be covered. ”
There are 18 sponsors involved in the awards for the race and 51 who have purchased anywhere from 1- 5 laps for the 100 lap sponsorships. “The event is a lot of work, it started before last Christmas and is a lot of foot work, knocking on doors, calling people, and you name it in order to get things put in place”.
It is something Nicholls is all too familiar with looking at his resume as a Masters Graduate in Sports Management. He has been involved in hundreds of events. The number, well as he stated “ It’s hard to say with owning an RV Park for 15 years it was like having daily events for kids and weekend events for your patrons over the 15 seasons” . The Park grew in to the point under his management and that of his family where it was recognized from 2010 to 2012 as one of the Top 100 Parks in North America.
He has put on countless powerlifting events since 1997 including hosting the 1999 and 2011 Canadian Championships. Add to his resume managing Old Home Week, the Islands Provincial exhibition to the Regional Fair of the Year Award in 1998 and prior to this seven years of business operations experience in the professional hockey industry at the NHL, AHL and OHL levels.
“Racing is very busy for me, along with hustling for sponsorships for the race; I also have 2 street stock cars that I also work on for my BPMS street stock racing team that involves looking for corporate sponsorship partners as well”.
He added, “It will be one exciting night of racing. It is one of the best classes of stock car racing with hard-nosed, door to door racing in the Maritimes. Our major sponsor Discover Kia will have their award winning line up of KIA vehicles on display and on track during the autograph session with the drivers. The kids will be entertained with face painting, balloons and some treats upon entering the facility. It is a family oriented event with all kids under 15 getting into the event free of charge, making it the best value out there for a night of entertainment. The Oyster Bed Speedway’s portion of the 50-50 ticket sales proceeds will be donated to the Children’s Ward at the QEH”.
The Purse Payout for the Race is as follows:
PAYOUT PURSE DISTRIBUTION:
- CHAMPION – $1,500
- 2ND – $750
- 3RD- $600
- 4TH- $500
- 5TH- $400
- 6TH– $250
- 7TH- $175
- 8TH – $150
- 9TH– $125
- 10TH- $100
- 11TH- 30TH Place – $50 each
The following is a breakdown of the sponsors for the race event and the lap sponsors:
- Major Sponsor – Discover KIA Charlottetown
- Fuel Sponsor – $25 Free Fuel from Oyster Bed Esso, PEI for each Driver.
- Bridge Passes Sponsor – Johnston’s Enterprises – Winsloe & West Royalty Irving’s, PEI – Free For the First 20 Off – Island Cars to Register.
- Ferry Passes Sponsor – Kris Fournier Remax Charlottetown, PEI – Free For the First 5 Cars Registered from NS.
- Pole Award Sponsor – Phillips Auto Sales, PEI – $100 Cash Award
- Heat Race Sponsor – Tucker Racing Products, NB, Complimentary Gift, Approximate Value of over $250
- Heat Race Sponsor – MacLean Performance, PEI, Complimentary Gift, Approximate Value of over $250
- Heat Race Sponsor – Carquest Charlottetown, PEI, Complimentary Gift, Approximate Value of over $250
- Lap 50 Half Way Award Sponsor – Central Engine Services, PEI, $250 Cash Award
- Lap 70 Award Sponsor – Big Mommas Pit Stop, PEI, $250 Cash Award
- Hard Charger Award Sponsor – Grass Cutters Lawn Mowing, PEI, $100 Cash Award
- Most Laps Led Award Sponsor – O’Connor Glass, PEI, $100 Cash Award
- Top Finishing PEI Driver Sponsor – Kris Fournier Remax Charlottetown, PEI, $100 Cash Award
- Top Finishing NB Driver Sponsor – Quality Pools, NB, $100 Cash Award
- Top Finishing NS Driver – R&D Performance, NS, $100 Cash Award
- Contributing Sponsors: Peake & McInnis Insurance, Sign Craft, City of Charlottetown.
- Chase Walkelin (in Memory of ), PEI
- Miramichi Racing Radio, NB
- SnowStorm Racing, PEI
- Big Mommas Pit Stop, PEI
- Joe Doucette (in honor of the Legend lap #28), PEI
- Willie Paynter (in Memory of), PEI
- Marven Palmer (in Memory of), PEI
- Peake & McInnis Insurance, PEI
- Sign Craft, PEI
- Chucker’s Trophies & Awards, PEI
- Speedway Miramichi, NB
- Bevan Enterprise Apartment Rentals, PEI
- Murray Rusk, PEI
- LeBow Holdings, PEI
- Stephen Pond, NB
- Feasible Fuels, PEI
- Hickox Service Centre, PEI
- Kevin Quinn Remax Charlottetown, PEI
- Thruway Muffler, PEI
- John MacEachern, NS
- Jeff Newson Coldwell Banker Parker Realty, PEI
- JD Backhoeing, PEI
- Quality Pools, NB
- Dalziel’s Auto Body, PEI
- Creative Auto & Upholstery, PEI
- Shine Depot, PEI
- Gaudet’s Auto Body, PEI
- Stewart Racing, PEI
- Tim Myers Excavation, PEI
- Just Joes Automotive, PEI
- Collings Timber Mart, PEI
- Chris O’Rourke, PEI
- Ford Electric, PEI
- Chris Bobcat Service, PEI
- Robbie Maclean Exit Realty, PEI
- Charlottetown Bottle & Metal, PEI
- The Nicholls Group, NB
- E. Matheson Construction, PEI
- Double M Construction, PEI
- MacKinnon Bros Service Centre, PEI
- Shaw’s Towing, PEI
- R & D Performance, NS
- TG Welding, PEI
- Snow Motor Sports, PEI
- Michele Madore, Scotia Wealth Management, NB
- Lomar MacDonald Inc., PEI
- Danny Darrach, PEI
- Dulux Paints, NS
- Bolger Motorsports Kawasaki, PEI
- Dave’s Snowmobile Repair(DSR), PEI
- O’Connor Glass, PEI